Friday, May 7, 2010

Amsterdam ;-)

Hey readers ! Writing to you from the train on the way to Berlin ( yes I’ve changed my traveling plans once again..… I decided to stay in Amsterdam a bit longer… and then go directly to Berlin from there… no more Copenhagen, Denmark) which is about.. a 7 hour train ride..but before I get into that.. let me tell you guys about Amsterdam!

I got there around 19h00 on the 3rd of May.. my trains had been a bit delayed.. and it caused me to miss one of my connections.. but I guess I have amazing luck… or..something.. because It turned out the train I was on that I thought I was suppose to end at Uther Central ( where I missed my transfer… ) didn’t end there… it actually went way beyond Amsterdam Amstel.. so I rushed back on to it! And then the rest was a piece of cake… I’ve gotten quite use to finding the closest public transportation.. and with the help of google earth.. im usually pretty well oriented. Took the tram.. and then I arrived at my friend ,Saskia home shortly after .. And the Adventure continued! Since I had decided to stay a week there…. I took things at a slower pace … took the time to have great conversation with Saskia.
Since a week’s time is hard to write about without going on and on… I’ll save you guys the confusion of following my random type of thinking / writing and stick with the listing format.
May 4th Saskia took me biking all around Amsterdam ,showing me some of the most famous site.. Important museums, the center of the city, the red light district ( which is more touristic than anything else… I mean.. when you see families walking around talking pictures of the prostitutes posted up in the window.. you wonder.. whether it not just all a catch.. to get people intrigued about Amsterdam and come visit.. this goes for the infamous “Coffee Shop” let me just state it once quickly.. “I’ve been told”.. its bad quality .. that the Dutch chemically enhance the THC from its original 50 something chemical ( i think it is.. ) to a higher dose of 7 them.. and the other ones are left out… and so “I’ve been told” that it gives you paranoid type of result… rather than the cloud type of… fun ? plus.. its way over priced … its.. about 6 € for.. what they call a “gram” ( which is... not.. its more like .6 .7 ) and.. “So I’ve been told.. “ It’s better in Canada. ;)
May 5th there was a bunch of free concert around the center of Amsterdam.. in honor of Memorial day.. which was the 4th ? if I’m not confusing my day… We watch the ceremony on the teli ( t.v.) that night . I spend my evening downtown.. Hopping from stage to stage listening to music I’ve never heard before.. there’s this one bang that I liked.. called Giovanca … and in between different states… I went to a sex museum a friend from Perugia had told me all about…

pictures are up on the photobucket under Eurotrip May 6th Saskia and I went to the Ann Frank House. There was a like a 2 hour line to get in.. but it was worth the wait… I was the annex .. where her family hid out… with quotes of her diary on the walls. ( and if you were familiar with the story it was very interesting standing in the exact location where she wrote it originally.. where is all happened..) The part that really caught my attention however was from them being discovered ..In one of the room of the house here was a type of exposition of where all of the member of the annex were sent to and how they died…. The only one who survived was her father Otto Frank. From then on the museum turn into how he reacted from reading his daughter’s diary and what he did about it…. Needless to say he did his all to publish it .. and then.. he started foundations against discrimination.. and well there was so much…. Ask about it in a comment if your really interested…
May 7th was a sluggish day for me.. we ran some errands… and then Saskia took me to an independent film movie theater and we saw “Los Viajes del Vento” which was… indeed an independent film.. lol with beautiful scenery of Columbia….
May 8th Saskia took me to her house in the country to do some gardening. It was absolutely beautiful !

we spend a few hours there.. and then she drove me around Holland to all these different towns.. I was impress by how flat the scenery is here ( no mountains) and.. they are literally bellow sea level . Go check out the pics in the photobucket under Eurotrip> Amsterdam and there is explications on some of them yay! Oh and that night I went out to meet some of the couch surfing community… yes I know not all of you know that I’ve been couch surfing for a large part of this trip so far… I’ll make another post just explaining it. But for this one lets just leave it at I have a fun night meeting people from all over, and some Amsterdam locals too . Travelers have such interesting stories!
May 9th I stayed in.. and continued showing Saskia the technology of today… Computers.. and some Internets sites! I thinks its wonderful that she’s intrigued to learn about facebook and all that jazz! Saskia if you reading this, keep it up! You’re doing great! :-) oh and sweets if your reading this use the word chameleon in a sentence next time we talk :)

Until next time readers. Stay safe . and leave comments bellow! :)

Fun Fact: did you know Amsterdam was called Amsterdam because its where the Amstel ‘s river dam is located.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you've been able to chill!!!

    I can't wait to hear about the couch surfing experience
    love ya little sister, I can't wait to see you soon.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete